Monday, September 19, 2011

On Not Having Willpower

Well... it's been a long time.

To be honest, this is my constant curse about taking up long-term projects.  Or hairstyles.  I get distracted.  Or I lose the enthusiasm I had when I started.  I'm excellent at making excuses.

My lack of stick-to-it-ivness is one reason Alec was very hesitant for me to get my own pole two years ago.  I had been taking classes for a few months, and since that's on the high end of my time limit for new projects, he didn't want me making a big investment on something I was going to get bored with in a matter of weeks.

And yet, here I am, over two years later, and still going.  Now, admittedly, I don't practice at much as I should at home.  The pole is generally more of a big, shiny fixture in the middle of what would normally be a dining room.  But there hasn't been a month that I've skipped.  It's probably my longest-lasting hobby, next to reading, writing, and cooking.

A lot of that has to do with the huge group of friends that exists within the pole community here.  While other activities are solo projects, or done with one or two others, the circle of friends I've met through pole is huge. We go to shows together, have parties together, and just hang out.  We make use of each other's various talents, and we support each other's endeavors.  It's an amazing group of boys and girls of so many different backgrounds.  For me, at least, the pole community provides the perfect level of competition (i.e. 'I can't stop going to class or I'll be so far behind everyone else'), as well as the reminder that everyone has their strong suits and problem areas.

In other news, I've been baking for burlesque all over the place: Beggar's Carnivale as usual, as well as adding in the Randy Dandies, who have moved their show to 2720 Cherokee and who just put on another delightful Choose Your Own Adventure Show.  (This one was a nautical adventure theme, so of course I highly approved.)

I'll also be selling alcoholic/autumn-themed cupcakes at the upcoming First Annual Pumpkin Patch Ball at the Third Degree Glass Factory.  It looks like it's going to be an amazing event, and I'll be trying out some brand new recipes!

And, finally, I'll try to update a bit more often.  Really, I will.

1 comment:

  1. The pole community is an absolutely astonishing one. Not only is it filled with a tremendous amount of talent, but also of strength. Strength in the physical sense, yes, but more importantly - of character, of support, and of encouragement. Having participated in a number of athletic activities and various other hobbies, never have I found a competitive community with such love and admiration for one another. I'm glad to say that I am a part of that ; D

    And congrats on the baking!

    ReplyDelete