Friday, December 30, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Cooking Challenge: Day Two- Two Turtledoves


To start out, a lovely, fun rendition of The 12 Days of Christmas by Straight No Chaser.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two turtledoves...


For the second day of Christmas, I made Turtle Fudge.
from Diana's Kitchen
(serves rather a lot)


3 c. sugar
3/4 c. unsalted butter
1 small can (5 oz) evaporated milk (Note: I couldn't find this, so I estimated a little less than half of a 12 oz can)
1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
30 caramels, cut in squares (I had a bag of caramel chips that I never used for another project, so I just used these)
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 c. pecan halves
1 tsp vanilla

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and evaporated milk.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Continue boiling, still stirring constantly, over medium heat until the temperature reaches soft ball stage on a candy thermometer (234-240 F).

Remove from heat.

Add chocolate chips, stirring until melted.  Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined.  Pour into a greased 13x9x2 baking pan.  Cool to room temperature and cut into square.

**This recipe didn't work out the greatest for me.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, as I've successfully made fudge several times before.  The texture turned out oddly, but the taste is still good, so... oh well.  I'll still eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment